Hazardous material spill at PHS

Region 15 Superintendent of Schools Regina L. Botsford has issued a press release explaining a hazardous material spill at Pomperaug High School (PHS) this morning. Botsford’s release follows:

A mercury thermometer brought to school by a student this morning was broken in a classroom. Following safety protocols, students and teachers who were in the classroom were relocated to another classroom and contained. The student who brought the thermometer was taken by ambulance to the hospital for treatment. All other students and staff were evacuated. Local fire, police and the DEEP were called to the scene.

Upon direction from safety officials, students were allowed back into the building and are being held in the gym. Students in the classroom where the thermometer was dropped will be evaluated by The DEEP will be advising on clean-up protocols and will determine when students may return to classrooms.


Comments are closed.